Monday, May 3, 2010

TV killed the Radio star. Wales, Newmark and Oprah killed old media? Huh?

Ad age had an interesting article about old media and new
media. Here are my thoughts and the comment I left.

Conga anyone? Get in line... as old media kills itself. They
lost touch with their readers. Wales, Newmark et al just made
it faster. This is not an age thing, it is a shift in
consumption habits. New media is two things. 1 - Readers want
what's relevant to them selves, ala the success of social
media - "I choose, I say when, I say how... I, the consumer,
am in charge." 2 - The other side of the new media is a
trusted publisher around a specific subject ... wait isn't
that old media. And as soon as they get back to it the sooner
they realize their new role and opportunities. Oprah does
this wonderfully, in her own style, on her terms and with her
subject, we buy her and whatever she is saying. Wales too.
This is why they don't get bashed, they are publishers.
Newmark pulled newspaper's life lines - classified.New media
is about "give me relevance or a subject that I want to
follow. Old media stopped giving us what we want. And new
media is happy to remind them every chance they get.

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=143614#comments

powered by eggzack.com

No comments:

Post a Comment